Friday, April 1, 2016

Ambulances and Fire Trucks

Gran-Gran works at a hospital so while we were visiting her at work we got to stop by the ambulance bay and see a real live ambulance! Joel got to sit inside and turn on the lights and sirens. On the way, we were following Grumps. Joel asked where he was going and I told him the hospital. Joel asked, "Is he hurt?" I realized that's all we've ever told him about the hospital--it's where you go if you're sick or hurt. But that was his very first time in the hospital since he wasn't even born there!


Joel is in a phase where he asks lots of questions. "What's her name? Where is he going? What's she doing?" etc.  The reading teacher (and semi-annoyed mama in me...) decided it was a great time to teach him about making inferences so he could start to answer his own questions. We were in the Kroger parking lot the other day and he saw a women in the parking lot and asked, "Where's she going?" I said, "It's the morning time and she's wearing nice clothes. Where do you think she's going?" Joel said, "She's going to work. I made an inference!" (Is he not the smartest!?)

So we were driving to story time this week and were right beside a fire truck on the road. Joel asked where it was going and I encouraged him to make an inference. He guessed the fire truck was going to a fire (valid inference) but I pointed out that the truck was driving slowly with no lights or sirens. So Joel changed his guess and said they were going to the fire station. (Excuse me while I call Harvard and get him enrolled...) It was a great guess, but we were both wrong because that fire truck followed us all the way to the library! We had a few minutes to spare before story time so we stood across the street so I could point out the hoses and ladder. One of the firemen saw us and invited us over so Joel got to sit in the truck and meet a fireman. 


That was an extra special treat since Joel has been pretending to be a fireman for the past couple weeks. He has worn his fireman outfit so many places--on walks, to the store, to birthday parties. You never know when those birthday candles will go up in flames! Chief Bunte is prepared with a fire extinguisher and bull horn just in case.


1 comment:

Leave us some love!